In this article we give you a collection of facts about our home, the planet earth.
Earth is the third planet from the Sun and the only astronomical object known to harbor life.
About 29% of Earth’s surface is land and the remaining 71% is covered with water.
Earth’s interior is a solid iron inner core, a liquid outer core that generates Earth’s magnetic field, and a mantle that drives plate tectonics.
Earth is the densest planet in our solar system.
Earth is the third planet from the sun.
Earth is the fifth largest planet in the solar system.
Earth is the only planet not named for a mythological god or goddess.
Its name is derived from the Old English word “ertha” and the Anglo-Saxon word “erda” which means ground or soil.
The earth travels at a speed of 660,000 miles per hour as it moves through space.
The earth is estimated to weigh 6,588,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons.
The earth’s diameter is 13,000 km.
Earth has the greatest density out of all the planets in our Solar System.
The earth is approximately 92,955,820 miles away from the sun.
In astronomy, this is known as 1 AU or astronomical unit.
It takes the earth 365.24 days to revolve around the sun.
It takes the earth 23.934 hours to rotate on its own axis.
Earth only has one moon.
The Moon is distancing itself from Earth about one inch every year.
Our Earth is around 4.5 billion years old.
Light reaches us from the Sun in about 8 minutes.
The earth is slowing its rotation by about 17 milliseconds every hundred years
Earth’s atmosphere is composed of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and trace amounts of other gases
Earth’s core is made up mainly of nickel and iron.
Earth’s mantle is composed of iron and rock.
Earth’s core is about 4,400 miles wide which is about the same size as Mars.
It is believed that the core has a temperature of up to 4,300 degrees Celsius.
The earth bulges at the equator and is flattened at its poles.
The earth rotates faster in September than it does in March.
The gravity between the Earth and the Moon causes the tides on Earth.
70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water.
The earth’s water is 97% salty, and only 3% fresh.
Earth has a very powerful magnetic field.
This protects the planet from the effects of solar winds.
The Earth has an Ozone Layer which protects it from harmful solar radiation.
The atmosphere of Earth is divided into 6 layers.
These are the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, exosphere, and ionosphere.
The Earth’s axial tilt is approximately 23.45°.
The Earth’s orbit is one of the most circular in all the Solar System.